david reed | solo
"An Analog Man in a Digital World"
I've been told that I am cut from the same stylistic cloth as Jorma Kaukonen, Taj Mahal, Mississippi John Hurt, Joseph Spence and the Davids Lindley & Bromberg...and that the souls of old Delta & Piedmond bluesmen and West Indian calypsonians visit me regularly.
I'm not sure of any of that, but I do know this: As a multi-instrumentalist/singer-songwriter/recording artist I've enjoyed bringing smiles to faces and beats to the feet of audiences young and old for most of my life. Equally at home on festival & coffeehouse stages, restaurant & house concert settings (https://my.listeningroomnetwork.com/artist/davdreed3) - or as a complement to dinner parties, Bar-B-Q's or weddings - I bring a sunny Caribe vibe to my folkrock, ragtime jazz and original Americana repertoire.
An accomplished finger-style & slide guitarist and seasoned performer, I also build wonderfully unique and quirky cigar box guitars under the aegis of "Dr. Easy's Sonic Boxes" from which I deliver my personal brand of tasty, slip-slidin' juke joint countryblues & smokehouse rock.
* Seven Solo Recordings: Try It Again (1988), Eclecticity (1993), Asleep at the Keel (2007), Box Lunch (2022) and Postcard from the Islands (2023). TuTu Much Is Never Enuff! (1995) with duo TuTu Much, and Gypsy Davy (2019) with trio The Introv3rts. All on the Dry Duck Record label, of course!
* Session & Side Musician: guitar, cigar box guitars, percussion, bass, trumpet, banjo, vocals
* Festivals, Tours & House Concerts: Switzerland (Blues to Bop Festival), Italy, England, US & British Virgin Islands and throughout East Coast US. First American to play the Bansko (Bulgaria) International Jazz & World Music Festival. In-Concert with Hot Tuna, Max Creek, New Riders, Jesse Winchester, Third World, David Bromberg, Entrain, Rory Block, Ellis Paul, Brooks Williams, Utah Phillips, Bernice Lewis & Bobby Sweet, The Ink Spots . . . and others.
* Music Educator: Guest Arts & Technology lecturer at New York University; Finger-style guitar instructor; Library lecture/demonstrations about the "History, Art & Construction of Cigar Box Instruments"; Classroom music teacher/band director
* Author: Numerous short stories, newspaper & magazine music reviewer and author of "Getting Started with the 3-String Cigar Box Slide Guitar - Vol. 1"
* Press: The International Cigar Box Review magazine (2018), Acoustic Guitar magazine (2006), The Artful Mind magazine (multiple years), numerous print media stories and reviews in the US, Caribbean and Europe. Radio and TV spots in the US, Swiss and Bulgarian broadcast media.
* Music Videos: calypso song, Digby, made by pioneering Oscar and Grammy award winning filmmaker Doug Trumbull & MAGI Studios. Numerous self-produced YouTube videos by the Lost Hat Productions studio.
* Founder and original guitarist (1970-76) of nationally acclaimed and highly-influential jam band Max Creek who continue to record and tour nationally to this day.
As always, THANK YOU for your interest and support over the years and I hope I can play for YOU soon!
“For years David Reed performed here on St. John, US Virgin Islands and always brought joy to those fortunate enough to hear his Caribbean vibe and original compositions. David has a natural rapport with audiences which appeals to all ages and ethnicities. He has been popular here on St. John and in house concerts in Maine where he featured a variety of cigar box guitars which he created accompanied by his percussion instruments. David is an accomplished guitarist, a lovely vocalist and a great storyteller—truly a professional performer!” - Melody S.
— Mel's House Concerts in Heaven
“Reed is an extremely competent, polished and exciting musician. We'll be hearing from him.” - Rory Block, Blues musician and recording artist
— Chatham (NY) Courier
“Whoever is reading this, take note: David Reed, is a performer extraordinaire who, if you are so lucky as to engage him, will delight you and your audience with the most remarkable, entertaining and lively music. I’ve had David do a house concert every year for the past 5 years and he just keeps getting better and better. His wonderful style is a unique mix of Americana, folk rock and Caribbean music. He’s a fantastic musician who expertly plays a variety of instruments including his own cigar box guitars with which he accompanies his ever enjoyable singing. The audience loves him. His performances are mood altering for a foot tapping, feel good, upbeat time. Having him play is an opportunity that you shouldn’t pass up. Snap him up if you can get him! ” - Liz S.
— L & A House Concerts
“Reed's talent is most remarkable...mostly I feel like I'm watching a genius!” - Ari Jewell
— BerkshireBusk! (Great Barrington, MA)
“Reed seamlessly transitions from reggae to blues to calypso to rock in his playing, bringing us along on a wonderful, quixotic musical journey.” - Jaime Elliot
— St. John USVI Tradewinds
“Your music stopped me in my tracks! I just had to go see where this wonderful sound was coming from!” - Jeff B. - New York, NY - July, 2022